European Higher Education System

Share This Post

European Higher Education System

Higher education in 33 European nations is covered on the Study in Europe website. Although each nation has a higher education system that is administered at the national level, they are all a part of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).The EHEA system contributes to the compatibility of higher education systems across Europe and facilitates collaboration and easier study and employment abroad for European students, scholars, and researchers.

Differences with the higher education system in America

Several distinctions between the higher education systems in Europe and the United States are described below:

Institutions of higher learning.

There are nations in Europe that have higher education systems that distinguish between research universities, universities of applied sciences, and higher education institutions.The practical application of the arts and sciences is the main focus of applied science universities. Research-focused programs are offered in academic settings by research universities.In the US, there is no distinction between research universities and universities of applied sciences.

The grading scale

Each European nation has its own unique grading scheme. Austria uses a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 denoting good performance and 5 denoting insufficiencies. While grades in some European nations run from A to F or from 1 to 10, in others they are based on percentages from 0 to 100.In American colleges and universities, grades are assigned on a scale of 4.0, with ‘A’ denoting the highest mark possible and ‘F’ denoting the lowest.


The annual tuition range for non-EU students in Europe is between €1,000 and €20,000. In general, American tuition costs are higher than those in Europe.In the United States, public colleges typically charge overseas students between $10,000 and $70,000 per year in tuition for undergraduate and graduate programs.

European Study Programs Content

The majority of study programs in Europe consist of lectures and courses, with coursework, tests, and essay assignments for evaluation. Some also need time spent working in or on projects related to industry.

European Higher Education Credentials

Three ‘cycles’ that were established as part of the Bologna Process are used to arrange higher education credentials in Europe.

Undergraduate degrees

90% of full-time In Europe, bachelor’s degree programs last three to four years; part-time study will extend this period.You typically need to have completed high school; however, this varies, so be sure to check the entry criteria for the study program you’ve chosen.A Bachelor’s degree can be an excellent method to get ready for both advanced education and professional work.

Graduate degrees

90% of full-time In Europe, master’s study programs span one to two years (longer if you study part-time).You typically require a Bachelor’s degree or another undergraduate certification to study for a Master’s degree.Master’s degrees are a terrific method to advance your research and professional skills. A Master’s degree may be more research-focused or more modular, with coursework and/or exams used to gauge progress.The majority of study programs include lectures and classes together with coursework, essays, and examinations for evaluation. Some also entail spending time working in or on projects relating to industry.

Doctoral programs

In Europe, the average length of a doctoral program is three to four years (although this will be longer if you study part-time).You typically require a Master’s degree and a Bachelor’s degree in order to pursue a doctorate, including a PhD.For those who are passionate about research, doctorates are ideal. If you wish to work in academia, specialize in a certain area, or conduct industry research, they are extremely helpful.Doctorates frequently emphasize independent study and research with a focus on a single subject.You often need to submit a research proposal detailing the objectives of your doctorate in order to apply.

Programs for research in Europe

The European Union’s (EU) website for researchers looking to further their careers in research in Europe is called EURAXESS. You may find details on funding and grants for research programs as well as suggestions for organizing your relocation to Europe as a professional researcher on EURAXESS.Additionally, you can search through more than 40,000 research jobs posted annually in European universities, research institutions, and industry.M-J Global is the best visa agent in Dubai,Oman and Qatar and best immigration consultant in Oman,Dubai and Qatar.It is the most trusted immigration agency in middle east and the business migration agent in Oman,Dubai and Qatar.M-J Global is the best registered Immigration Agent in Dubai,Oman and Qater.

Watch our video

Skilled Immigration
M-J Global Team can help turn your dream into reality.Our team of Immigration Consultants can help you
Business Immigration
M-J Global team assisting various applicants for visit visa. As we do everythingwe can to ensure the achievement...
Visit Visa
M-J Global team assisting various applicants for visit visa. As we do everything we can to ensure the...
M-J Global Team- ``Your Education advisors`` Excited by the idea of studying Internationally...

Follow M-J Global

Frequently Read Topics
Why Study in Canada?
There are many reasons why more than 400,000 International Students chose to live and stud ... Read More
Why Did Canada Launch Express Entry?
Canada launched Express Entry in 2015 in order to move from a "first-come, first-served" i ... Read More
Who Qualifies for Canadian Permanent Residence/Skilled Worker Immigration?
On January 1, 2015, the Government of Canada implemented the Express Entry Immigration sys ... Read More
What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?
Foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving in Canada by air are required to obt ... Read More
The Express Entry Job Bank
The Express Entry Job Bank is an online job site created by Employment and Social Developm ... Read More
Express Entry Candidate Pool
Once the Canadian government considers an applicant’s online Express Entry profile to be ... Read More
Study in Canada: Work After Graduation
There are many options available to you after you have completed your study in Canada prog ... Read More
Study in Canada: Internships and Co-Op Programs
If you’re looking to gain valuable international work experience while you attend school ... Read More
Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program
In order to apply for skilled immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker program, an app ... Read More
Open Work permit in Canada – Work in Canada
An open work permit allows a foreign national to work for any Canadian employer he/she wan ... Read More
Nova Scotia ‘Study and Stay’
The Nova Scotia Study and Stay program specifically targets international students from Ch ... Read More
Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs)
An LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada needs to obtain before hiring most types ... Read More
Invitations to Apply for Permanent Residence (ITAs)
Applicants who receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) will become eligible to apply for perm ... Read More
Canada Inadmissibility for Individual Criminality: Definitions
Here you will find a description of the kinds of behaviour that can cause a person to be ... Read More
Federal Skilled Worker Program Eligible Occupations
Under Express Entry, Federal Skilled Workers across 347 eligible occupations who meet mini ... Read More
Express Entry Job Offer
While possessing a job offer is not mandatory for those seeking to immigrate using the Exp ... Read More
The Express Entry Candidate Pool
Once the Canadian government considers an applicant’s online Express Entry profile to be ... Read More
Eight Things to Know About Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program
Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program offers Canadian permanent residence to qualified immigran ... Read More
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
All the skilled immigration applicants that are eligible for the Express Entry System will ... Read More
Citizenship Language Requirement
Applicants for citizenship between the ages of 18-54 must provide evidence of their knowle ... Read More
Canada Visit/Tourist Visa
A visitor is a person who wants to come to Canada to work, study or visit. A visitor is no ... Read More
Canada To End Special Temporary Foreign Worker Program Processing For Owner/Operators
Canada immigration authorities are moving to abolish the special Temporary Foreign Worker ... Read More
Buy a Business and Move to Canada Immigration Program
Canada immigration authorities have abolished the special Temporary Foreign Worker Program ... Read More

Get in touch

Would you like to speak to one of our immigration expert over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.



Get Free Consultation