Residency By Investment - EUROPE



Northern Europe’s Nordic region includes Finland. The Gulf of Bothnia and the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea, which traverse Estonia to the south, define its western and eastern land borders, respectively, with Sweden to the west, Russia to the east, and Norway to the north. In 1955, Finland ratified a formal neutrality policy and became a member of the UN. In addition to joining the OECD in 1969, Finland also joined the NATO Partnership for Peace in 1994, the European Union in 1995, the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council in 1997, and the Eurozone in 1999, the year the currency unit was established.

Finland is a top performer in numerous metrics of national performance, including education, economic competitiveness, civil liberties, quality of life and human development. In 2015, Finland was ranked first in the World Human Capital and the Press Freedom Index and as the most stable country in the world during 2011-2016 in the Fragile States Index, and second in the Global Gender Gap Report. . It also ranked first on the World Happiness Report for 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

5,536,146 (December 2020 ESTIMATE)
USD 257 billion (2020)

Residence permit application for an entrepreneur

If your intention is to relocate to Finland in order to start a business, submit this application for a Finland Residency by Investment. Entrepreneurs often need to register their business in the Trade Register kept by the Finnish Patent and Registration Office before permission may be provided.

You are an entrepreneur if you are

  • a private business owner who operates what is referred to as a toiminimi (individually owned business)
  • A partner in a general partnership
  • A silent partner who is not a general partner in a limited partnership
  • A co-op member who is personally liable for any refinancing. The trade registration must be notified of the unrestricted duty to contribute.
  • If you personally own at least 30% of the company’s share capital or personally have at least 30% of the votes generated by the company’s shares, or if you are a person in a managerial position in another type of company with similar authority in the board of directors, you are a shareholder in a limited liability company (Managing Director or member of the Board of Directors) or you are employed by another type of company in a managerial position.

A residence permit cannot be granted only on the basis of business ownership. You must also be employed by the Finnish company. Two steps will be taken to process the application. A partial decision will first be made by the ELY Centre for Economic Development, Transport, and the Environment. After that, the application will be processed by the Finnish Immigration Service.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application
    First permit 11-12 months / extended permit 11 months
  • Expected processing time for the paper application
    First permit 11-12 months / extended permit 11 months
  • Electronic application fee
    First permit 490 € / extended permit 160 €
  • Paper application fee
    First permit 690 € / extended permit 430 €

Freelancers and light entrepreneurs

Freelance work means that you work independently, and usually for several contractors, without having a permanent employment relationship.
If you work for yourself while engaging in entrepreneurial activities, you are a “light entrepreneur.” Through a platform company (like Foodora, Freska, Uber, or Wolt), you offer services or sell goods to your own clients..

To work as a freelancer or a light entrepreneur, you need to have a residence permit for an entrepreneur. Only if you perform work in an employment connection while being directed and supervised by your employer may you apply for a residence permit for an employed person.

In order to get a residence permit for an entrepreneur, you need to have a Business ID. If you are a private trader, meaning that you have an individually-owned business (toiminimi), your domicile must be registered in an EEA country.

Only if you apply for your first residence permit before coming to Finland as a private trader are you eligible to apply for a residence permit for an entrepreneur without a Business ID. This is due to the fact that a toiminimi (individually held business) cannot be established abroad. All necessary information regarding your company, along with the paperwork required for business registration, must be included in your residence permit application.

General requirements for Entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application

  • You have a valid passport:

You can only get a residence permit if you are able to travel to Finland and stay in the country legally. To do this, you must have a passport that is valid throughout the time your residence permit is valid.

  • You have not been prescribed a prohibition of entry.
  • You are not a danger to public order and security.
  • You are not a danger to public health.
  • You are not a danger to Finland’s international relations.


You must also meet the following requirements:

  • You are a self-employed person and your form of business is one of the following:
  • a private trader, in other words a private entrepreneur
  • a partner in a general partnership
  • a general partner (not a silent partner) in a limited partnership
  • a member of a cooperative who has an unlimited liability for refinancing
  • entrepreneur in a limited liability company
  • Your business operations are profitable

Your business must be profitable. Your means of support must be secured by your income from your business. A Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) will assess whether you meet these requirements.

  • You have registered your business in the Trade Register maintained by the Finnish Patent and Registration Office

Right to work

  • When you have been issued with a residence permit for an entrepreneur, you may also work as an employee for another employer. However, you must earn your living primarily from your business, as a residence permit for an entrepreneur is issued for engaging in business activities.
  • If you have been granted a residence permit on some other grounds than entrepreneurship, you can still start a business in Finland if the main purpose of your stay in the country is some other than entrepreneurship (such as other work, your family ties or studies). In other words, the main purpose of your stay in Finland cannot be entrepreneurship.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop,
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Trade register extract or explanation why the company has not been entered in the Trade Register
  • Description of the business idea of the company
  • Document concerning business premises
  • Report on the number of employees
  • Certificates on professional qualifications
  • Document concerning assets and other income
  • If the company is already in business:
    • The latest financial statements, if the company has been in business so long that it has financial statements
    • The latest updated accounts
  • If the company is not yet in business:
    • Calculation of profitability (estimate of the company’s revenue and costs for the next two years)
    • Copies of agreements signed with customers and partners, if such exist


Watch our video

Skilled Immigration
M-J Global Team can help turn your dream into reality.Our team of Immigration Consultants can help you
Business Immigration
M-J Global team assisting various applicants for visit visa. As we do everythingwe can to ensure the achievement...
Visit Visa
M-J Global team assisting various applicants for visit visa. As we do everything we can to ensure the...
M-J Global Team- ``Your Education advisors`` Excited by the idea of studying Internationally...

Follow M-J Global

Frequently Read Topics
Why Study in Canada?
There are many reasons why more than 400,000 International Students chose to live and stud ... Read More
Why Did Canada Launch Express Entry?
Canada launched Express Entry in 2015 in order to move from a "first-come, first-served" i ... Read More
Who Qualifies for Canadian Permanent Residence/Skilled Worker Immigration?
On January 1, 2015, the Government of Canada implemented the Express Entry Immigration sys ... Read More
What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?
Foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving in Canada by air are required to obt ... Read More
The Express Entry Job Bank
The Express Entry Job Bank is an online job site created by Employment and Social Developm ... Read More
Express Entry Candidate Pool
Once the Canadian government considers an applicant’s online Express Entry profile to be ... Read More
Study in Canada: Work After Graduation
There are many options available to you after you have completed your study in Canada prog ... Read More
Study in Canada: Internships and Co-Op Programs
If you’re looking to gain valuable international work experience while you attend school ... Read More
Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program
In order to apply for skilled immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker program, an app ... Read More
Open Work permit in Canada – Work in Canada
An open work permit allows a foreign national to work for any Canadian employer he/she wan ... Read More
Nova Scotia ‘Study and Stay’
The Nova Scotia Study and Stay program specifically targets international students from Ch ... Read More
Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs)
An LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada needs to obtain before hiring most types ... Read More
Invitations to Apply for Permanent Residence (ITAs)
Applicants who receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) will become eligible to apply for perm ... Read More
Canada Inadmissibility for Individual Criminality: Definitions
Here you will find a description of the kinds of behaviour that can cause a person to be ... Read More
Federal Skilled Worker Program Eligible Occupations
Under Express Entry, Federal Skilled Workers across 347 eligible occupations who meet mini ... Read More
Express Entry Job Offer
While possessing a job offer is not mandatory for those seeking to immigrate using the Exp ... Read More
The Express Entry Candidate Pool
Once the Canadian government considers an applicant’s online Express Entry profile to be ... Read More
Eight Things to Know About Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program
Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program offers Canadian permanent residence to qualified immigran ... Read More
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
All the skilled immigration applicants that are eligible for the Express Entry System will ... Read More
Citizenship Language Requirement
Applicants for citizenship between the ages of 18-54 must provide evidence of their knowle ... Read More
Canada Visit/Tourist Visa
A visitor is a person who wants to come to Canada to work, study or visit. A visitor is no ... Read More
Canada To End Special Temporary Foreign Worker Program Processing For Owner/Operators
Canada immigration authorities are moving to abolish the special Temporary Foreign Worker ... Read More
Buy a Business and Move to Canada Immigration Program
Canada immigration authorities have abolished the special Temporary Foreign Worker Program ... Read More
How to Find a Job in Canada: Essential Information for Newcomers
Why-Choose-Australia-for-higher-studies-768x448 Which nation permits the most hours of labor for foreign students?
Who needs a study permit in order to study in Canada?
How to Immigrate to Canada with the Aid of an ECA

Get in touch

Would you like to speak to one of our immigration expert over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.



Get Free Consultation